A visit to One Happy Island

30-Aug-2009 12:23, Canon Canon HG10, 5.6, 6.1mm, 0.005 sec
End of summer – happened to spend a week at Aruba, the small island just north of South America. This was the first time we used out time share – we did an exchange and think we got a great deal.

When we arrived at Aruba, the airport reminded us of some of the smaller airports we see in India. The taxi ride to the Hotel also reminded us of the rickshaw rides, but safer. The air was hot and moist. We got a glimpse of downtown Oranjestad; the driver explained we could get Indian food.

29-Aug-2008 13:38, SONY DSC-W120, 7.1, 5.35mm, 0.002 sec, ISO 125

The Aruba Marriott Surf Club was excellent. We got a room overlooking the garden, though our contract said we would get an Ocean View room. After a couple of calls to the front desk, we were given the room on the top-most floor. The view was fabulous, with ocean view almost 180 degrees. I thought the investment in timeshare was worth it; else we wouldn’t even have ventured to look into these kind of rooms that go for $500 a night.

The Atlantis submarine ride was unique; it took us to a depth of 135 feet. After a swin in the Ocean and the Surf club’s lazy river, I got the cold bug and was down with a sore throat for 3 days. I couldn’t do much those three days. Finally I managed to take the Aruba tour which was well worth it. It took us around the 14 mile long island in just about 4 hours. The lunch at the African restaurant was good with pumpkin soup and bread.

The Natural bridge had collapsed in 2005; the waters on the other side of the island is much rougher due to the winds.

01-Sep-2008 15:15, SONY DSC-W120, 7.1, 5.35mm, 0.001 sec, ISO 125
The sight was just breathtaking and picture perfect. The blue waters reminded me of some movie backdrop – it was too good. More lazy river for Rama and Vikas.

02-Sep-2009 18:50, Canon Canon HG10, 5.6, 61.0mm, 0.008 sec
We enjoyed the sunsets everyday – quiet as the activities of the day winded down. The pirate ships and the sail boats added to the perfect backdrop and the sun got bigger and bigger, finally kissing our part of the Earth goodbye.

Night doesn’t stop man anymore; the beaches are filled with restaurants with live music filling the air. We would enjoy listening after our dinner at the room. We ate out just twice thanks to a fine kitchenette. After seven days, we headed back home; me still working on the sore throat, counting myself lucky it wasn’t H1N1.

Thank you for your comments. Comments are moderated before they are published.