The enclosure’s instructions manual was very brief but also incorrect. Basically after you unscrew the two screws holding on the ports to the body, you have to pull the PCB from the other side – simple; else you might break something :).
I fixed the hard drive and put back the screws. I notice the hard drive was a bit rattling, then I realized the four additional screws in the pouch were meant to hold the drive onto the PCB. Okay, did that and plugged it into my Windows XP laptop via the provided USB cable. I got the message that Windows found a new hardware and was installing it; installation was successful. But, my laptop wouldn’t recognize the new drive!!! Bummer.
I tried opening up the enclosure, putting it all back in – no luck. I tried using two USB ports to power up the drive; but it was already humming with one – I could see the light. So there was something else going on for not mounting the drive.
I did some googling and found that Western Digital had the Disk Diagnostic tool. I downloaded it for my particular hard drive WB3200BEVT. Running the diagnostics (it was able to see the drive) got results that everything was okay with the drive.
I then read an article that the drive needed to be formatted/partitioned. You can do this by going to My Computer->Manage->Disk Management. There you will see the external USB drive. You can then format it. I did so with NTFS which is default.
I copied all my photos with Microsoft’s Richcopy (cool tool, BTW to copy only those files that are not in the destination). 24GB of photos! I mounted it onto the digital photo frame. Alas, the frame wouldn’t display anything; got an invalid format error. I had explained how I got over this error in a previous post.
I finally ended up formatting the drive in FAT32 format. You can’t do that with Windows XP – the drive size is too big it will complain. I downloaded a tool called Swissnife which does the job and re-copied all my photos and then it was job done. The photos come up nicely on the frame. I just made sure I have only *.jpg files on there. I had to use another tool – FastStone Image Viewer – to convert all my RAW files into jpg.